Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Vietnam

Hi, everybody! We're in Vietnam!!! It's really cool here. I am writing this in an internet cafe, so I don't have much time.

Vietnamese is written with English characters, but it has little squiggly things over the letters, which indicates the tone. Vietnamese is a tonal language, just like Thai.

We are staying in a hotel in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam. Yesterday we walked around for a bit, and then stayed in the hotel the rest of the day since everything is closed because of Chinese New Year. But last night was fun!

Last night we went to dinner, and then discovered that there was a thing going on at the street corner. There was a stage, and on it there was people preforming different acts. First was a beautiful lady that had a sparkle-y green leotard on, and parts of her arms and legs were painted with glittering paint. She did tricks on a hoop suspended around 15 feet (around 5-6 meters) above the stage. Next was a guy that sang some songs, we didn't really watch him. Then there were four young women that did different acrobatics. Next two guys who did flips and goofy things while working together as a team. Five women dressed in white followed, and the main one did tricks with multiple hula-hoops, even some that were on fire! Then there was a comedian, and after that four women. One of the women did cool balancing tricks, such as standing on a table with a barrel and five trays of drinks on top of that, and balancing without spilling the drinks or falling!

There were a couple more, but we were feeling tired from standing all this time, so we went home.

This morning we went out and walked around. We went to Lenin Park that was supposed to have a flower festival, but didn't. We got a ride with a bicycle rickshaw. A rickshaw is a bicycle, but instead of a front wheel there is a little bench over two wheels. A canopy is over the seat, and it keeps the riders dry in the rainy season.

On Sunday Mom and I are going on a three-day trip to Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island. We will sleep on a boat. I can't wait!

I have to go now. I will try to update again after we return from Halong Bay. See you then!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Great you got a chance to write while you're in Vietanam. I got out the atlas to see where you are. Is Cat Ba also the name of a city on Cat Ba island? I hope you have fun sleeping on the boat. I loved it when we got to cruise down the Nile, it was one of my favorite parts of that particular trip. Hope you and your mom keep having a wonderful time!
Sherri

Plight said...

Hi Rachael:

Thanks for keeping me up-to-date on what's happening in Vietnam with you and your mother. Have a great time in Halong Bay. That sounds exciting. I might try to go there as part of my trip to Cambodia. We'll see. I love you.

Daddy