Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Cooking Class (2)

Hello! Eli, Dylan, and I just got back from the cooking class. It was awesome!

The class is situated on an organic farm 17 kilometers (around 10 miles) outside the Old City. They have a cooking class every day.

The first place we went to was the local market, and there our teacher explained about cooking rice, making coconut milk/cream, and Thai seasonings. We also picked which dishes we wanted to make. The choices were:
(Curries)
Green curry with chicken/tofu, red curry with chicken/tofu, yellow curry with chicken/tofu,

(Soups)
Tom Yam soup with shrimp/tofu, Chicken/tofu in coconut milk, Thai veggies soup,

(Fried noodles and salad)
Fried chicken/tofu with cashew nuts, Papaya salad, Fried chicken/tofu with basil leaves,

(Vegetarian)
Vegetarian spring rolls, Pad Thai fried noodles with tofu, Stir fried big noodles with tofu,

(Desserts)
Bananas in coconut milk, Mango with sticky rice, and Pumpkin in coconut milk.

We could choose one out of each category. I chose: Red curry with chicken, Chicken in coconut milk, Stir-fried tofu with cashew nuts, Spring rolls, and Mango with sticky rice. What I really liked about that place was that everything was vegetarian-friendly.

The food was awesome! We made the first three dishes, and then ate lunch. Then there was an hour-and-a-half break, during which I pet the cats! There were two of them- one was a female, and she was cream-colored with black ears, mask,paws, and shading on her back. She looked to be part-Siamese, but she was strangely quiet. Her name was 'Sky' in Thai. The other one was a fat orange tabby female that had the softest fur! her name meant 'Fat'!

After the lunch break, we made the other dish and dessert. You had the option of taking it home.
Then the long day was over, and we took the half-hour to 45-minute ride home. It feels good to be back here, although I had a great time.

And, remember, starting tomorrow I will be gone for ten days! I will try to post at least once while I'm in Vietnam, but I can't promise anything. Juicy writing when I get back! See ya!

-Itinerant Ramblings.

No comments: