Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Vietnam: The Tour

Hello! Today Mom and I got back from our three-day tour!

The first day was a bit boring. There was a three-hour drive to Halong Bay, during which I got motion-sick! Then we got on our boat. There were two levels, not counting the top, on which were sun-chairs and tables. The first floor was where the rooms and the kitchen were located. The rooms were small, but they had a bathroom, and two beds. There was a window right above my bed, almost level with the water, and you could open it and let the sea breeze in! The only thing wrong with the room was that the bathroom door didn't close.

Our first stop was a cave. It was huge and very touristy, and it had colored lights in it that, I think, spoiled the natural beauty of the cave. We walked around for a while and then went back to the boat. Our other stop for the day was a port where people went kyaking. Mom and I didn't go, though, we didn't feel like getting wet and cold. Besides, I had to do my math (Dad will be happy that I'm keeping up with my studies, though I'm not as excited.). After the kyaking we went over to a big stretch of water where all these other boats are anchored, and that is where we anchored for sleep.

Perhaps I should tell you a bit about Halong Bay and the ocean that is nearby. There is a legend that goes like this:
"Once upon a time, soon after the Vietnamese people established their country, invaders came. The Jade Emperor sent Mother Dragon and her Child Dragons down to earth to help the Vietnamese people fight against their enemy. Right at the time invaders’ boats were rushing to the shore, the dragons landed down on earth. The dragons immediately sent out from their mouths a lot of pearls, which then turned into thousands of stone islands emerging in the sea like great walls challenging the invaders’ boats. The fast boats couldn’t manage to stop and crashed into the islands and into each other and broke into pieces. After the victory, Mother Dragon and Child Dragons didn’t return Heaven but stayed on earth at the place where the battle had occurred."
Ha Laong Bay is dotted with numerous islands, all covered with trees, and in some places you can see the veins of different rich earth in the cliff walls. It really is beautiful.

The second day was much more interesting. Mom, a whole bunch of people, and I went on a five kilometer hike up to the top of a hill. There was a tower at the hilltop which some people climber, but I didn't because it was very dangerous. After that we took a boat to an island called Monkey Island. We got to see the monkeys, and while Mom and other people climbed a hill, the tour guide Tuan (Two-on) and I climbed some rocks. It was fun! We slept at a hotel in Halong city.

Today we drove back to Hanoi. I slept in the car! I needed it, since both of us had gotten up really early the past two days,

My hour is almost up in this internet cafe, so I have to go. See ya!

1 comment:

Plight said...

Thanks for the great tour of Halong Bay. You wet my appetite and now I'm considering going.

Hey - know who's in Vietnam right now? Adi. Yeah - Orit and Simon's niece. No, I don't know how to find her and Vietnam's a big country, as you already know.

See you soon!

Love, Daddy Unit