Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Doi Suthep

Hey! Dad and I just got back from Doi Suthep, the most famous wat, or church, in Northern Thailand. It is situated on top of a mountain, on a road that goes by beautiful scenery. On a clear day, you can see the glimmer of the gold buildings from my window.

When you get up the mountain, there are 300 steps up to the actual wat. There is a very big space up there, and in the building in the middle is where the main Buddha is situated. There you have to take your shoes off. You are supposed to wear conservative clothing, and not to display public shows of affection, the limit being holding hands.

Most of the buildings and other things in the wat have gold paint on them, although some things are actual gold. In the back, there is a beautiful view from a plateau overlooking Chiang Mai. You can also see the tree-covered mountains.

Dad and I just sat and read most of the time, after doing the homework our language teacher, Tuk (took), gave us. There was even a kitty that I got to hold on my lap for a while!

Thailand is, to me, a very spiritual place, most of that centered around the wats. Thailand really is a wonderful place.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Glad you made it up to Doi Suthep, sounds like you enjoyed the day. I'm guessing your mom is with you and I'm very happy for you both. We loved seeing you. Kali did a presentation to her class about our trip and it sounds like they'll be following your website soon! Keep up your great posts:)

Sherri