Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Funny stories

I have been wanting to have a a post about funny stories that happened overseas, and this is as a good time as any! I might have told some of these stories before and forgot about it, so bear with me, ok? Here goes!

The Dog Incident. (Bum, bum bum...)
One time, we were driving home on the motorcycle when Dad suddenly yells out "Oh, my god! There's a dog driving that car!" I looked in front of us, and there is a minivan, with a dog's head sticking out the window! It really did look like the dog was driving the car, but since people here drive on the left side the driver's seat is on the left side, so the passenger seat is on the right, the side that in America drivers sit on. Get it?

First I'm a Church, Then a Squid!
Today when we were sitting in language class, Dad was trying to say "I have a cold." Cold is the word wat, which is the same as a church, but it is in a different tone, therefore meaning something different. Our teacher was trying to get him to pronounce it right, but he kept saying "I have a church." He realized this and changed it to "I am a church." Then he said that if he said that in public, people wound get offerings, kneel down, and start bowing to him! By now we were all laughing.
Then Dad told a story about how he had lived in Greece for a while, and two words in the language were very similar. One was "Good morning", and the other "Squid". he says that he was sure that, every morning when he would go out on the balcony and say "Good morning" to his neighbors, he would say "Squid! Squid!"

Kid's Minds Work The Same Way
One day in Israel I was at Shir's house. I was busy doing something, when he suddenly said from under a blanket
"Rachael, come find me!"
Of course I didn't know exactly what he said, since it was in Hebrew. I looked at him and answered in English
"I see you, Shir."
He said "It doesn't matter that you see me."
And I countered "Yes, it does!" Unconsciously, we answered each other like we spoke the same language, even though half the time we didn't know what the other was saying. Kid's minds really work the same, don't they?

No comments: