Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Raoul Wallenberg and Transylavania

Hey! Today Dad and I did something very interesting. We visited the Raoul Wallenberg memorial. Raoul Wallenberg was a Swedish diplomat sent to Hungary in WWII. He is credited for saving 35,000 Jewish lives, and became one of the two honorary citizens of the United States. Raoul Wallenberg is one of Dad's heroes, and if I was a boy I would have been named after him. How cool is that?

So, on the way to the memorial, which is by the Danube and only a 10-15 minute walk from our house, we bought some flowers and when we got to the memorial put them there. The memorial is a pillar with the name Raoul Wallenberg on it along with some Hungarian writing, and on the top of it is a Greek god with a club in his hangs, holding down a snake and preparing to use the club to kill the snake. I think it is a representation of the battle between good and evil, with the snake being the Nazis. We stayed there for a while.

On the way back we passes another moving memorial. Along the Danube are stone statues of life-sized shoes, a memorial to all the Jews who were shot and thrown into the Danube. It's really cool how the memorial is simple, yet it tells you what it wants to. there are a whole bunch of shoes here, what's missing? The people who the shoes belong to!

Coming Soon: Guess what? On Monday we will be leaving for a while to drive to Romania! We're going to see Transylvania! Woohoo!

*Stops and listens. Readers here in background "I vant to suck your bleud!"* "Uh, oh, gotta go, Dracula's here to kill me! See ya next time on Itinerant Ramblings!

1 comment:

Jim Calkins said...

hey rara how are you? I'm good. I miss you.come home soon all my love MEOW Molly PS love your posting