Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The His'try of My'stry

Hi! Guess what Dad and I did today? We went to the National History Museum of Hungary!

It was really fun. The first thing we went to was the best, in my book. The Lonely Planet guidebook had mentioned this in its section about the museum, so we decided to see it. We wandered around looking for it, and finally had to ask directions. When we finally got to it we knew that it was worth the hard trouble. In the basement, where almost no one goes, is a enormous 3rd century Roman mosaic! It was awe-inspiring! It was huge, and had all these designs, some of them 3-D! Dad and I were very puzzled about how they got it out of wherever it originally was (the sides of it were smooth, almost as if it had belonged in the museum all along) and how they got it all the way over to Hungary!

But that was not the only great thing in that room, oh, no. Around the mosaic were these huge chunks of rock with various Greek and Roman-based carvings on them! I recognized Achilles and other people from all the myth books that I have read (I love reading about myths!). There were even some sarcophagi (coffins) made out of huge pieces of stone with carvings on them! It was so awesome.

The rest of the museum was pretty boring- you all know how museums are. We went through the history of Hungary, though, and I tried to remember some of that since my great-grandmothers came from here and this is my heritage, but it was hard.

Before we left, though, we made one more stop- the gift shop. We bought some posters and a book about Budapest.

I was really glad that we went to that museum because it allowed me to learn about my heritage. The other museum I really want to go to is the Hungarian National Art Gallery, it looks really interesting.

See you next time!

No comments: