Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Science Museum

Hi! I guess I forgot to mention in my post yesterday that we also went to the Science Museum for about five hours. It was cool!

We got tickets for a IMAX theater show called Secrets of the Pharaohs. But that was at 3:00pm, and this was 12-1:00 pm. The first exhibit we went to was the Web of Life. It wasn't really all that interesting. But the next one was my favorite, called the Mind's Eye. It was all these things about optical illusions. Pretty fun!

We also went to a little show thing before lunch. It was a balloon show. My favorite part was where there were two balloons-one inside of the other. One of the people running the show had a long pointy stick- one of the ones on shish kebabs, ya know? Well, she dipped the stick in some oil and inserted it through the knot on the outside balloon, and she popped the balloon that was on the inside without popping the one on the outside!

After that we went to get something to eat. We got to the resturant, and found out that it was 24 Singapore dollars (14.20 US dollars) each to eat! Luckily there was a cafe nearby where we got spring rolls and chicken nuggets for lunch, with a mango smoothie. After that it was time for the IMAX show.

I got popcorn, since mom didn't want any, and we stood in the line. Finally the doors were opened and we entered the theater. I was happy, it was my favorite kind of theater- one of the ones where the screen is the domed ceiling. The show was cool, it was about the ancient pharoahs of Egypt.

We went to a couple more exhibits after that, chemistry and DNA. There was also a little room where I looked at some Egyptian coffin thingys. After that we were tired, so we hit the road. I like learning about science!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Welcome back to Thailand Rachael and Margie! Kali tried to call you tonight, Rachael, but got the answering machine. When you two catch up with each other you should talk about the balloon tricks. At school, they did something with a single balloon where they were able to put a stick through it without popping the balloon. It was during a Cool Science presentation, it was her favorite part, too. Loved hearing about Singapore. 'Talk' to you later....
S-