Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Friday, November 23, 2007

The trip day 1

Hi! Boy, do I have a lot to tell you about!! I think I'll start with Yad Vashem... Well, the trip plan was this: Day 1: go on bus to Jerusalem and see Yad Vashem (Yad Vashem is the monument of remembrance to the Jews of the Holocaust.), and then go on more buses until we reach the Dead Sea at around 7:00 pm. Day 2: Swim in the Dead sea and go to Masada.

Yad Vashem was very hard on me. In the states we don't even know 1/1000 of the things they went through. It was horrible... the Nazis starved them, killed them, and tortured them. I'm not going to tell you the details because I'm still trying to take it in myself. If you e-mail me with specific ideas in what you want to hear, I might be able to tell you.

Something I really liked about Yad Vashem is that there is a park where they honor all the Christians who helped and saved the lives of the Jews. They honor them by planting a tree for them. That really touches me. Also in that garden are some pretty scary sculptures. You can see one above. First it looks like just a lot of wire twisted together but then you realize that it is actually human bodies that have been tortured. (Shudders) Ok, enough of that stuff. Time to move on.

For the rest of the day we rode on buses- borrring!!- until we got to the Youth Hostel that we were staying in.

1 comment:

Dan Savin said...

Hi Rachel,

I am Dan from Denver. It looks like you are having a great time and learning a lot so far this year. I really enjoy reading the descriptions of your adventures. I have some cousins who live near En Geti and have visited there before. It sounds like you have learned to get around pretty well. Have you been able to make friends with any kids your age? Are you learning any Hebrew? How is your dad's back? Please tell him I say hi.

Shalom,

Dan