Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Monday, March 3, 2008

Cambodia

Hey! We're back! Cambodia was awesome!

The first day we went on an overnight train ride to Bangkok. I had the worst night of my LIFE on there! I was in the top bunk, and the light was right at the gap between the curtain railing and the ceiling, and the lights were on all night! Also, someone didn't close the bathroom door in the next car so it was banging all night, and the door was locked so no one could get to it, although they wouldn't do anything about it anyway. And on top of that, breakfast sucked and I got a stomach problem from it. Blah!

We got off the train at around seven, and then then we went on a four hour bus ride to Aranyaprathet (A-ran-ya-prah-tet), which is on the border with Cambodia. Aranyaprathet (nicknamed Aran) sucks! It is dirty, the people are unfriendly, you can never find anything, AND a flying cockroach landed on me!

The next part was my favorite! You know, 15 years ago Mom and Dad lived in a little town around an hour away from Aran called Ta Phrya (Ta-Pree-ya). It is also where they got married! Dad and I decided to go there. It was a very pleasant relief from Aran, all green, and the people are nice... It is very nice, but small, and I just loved it! I also saw the house where Mom and Dad lived in (see picture). Unfortunately I didn't get to see where my parents got married because it was a while outside town.

The next day we crossed the border. It was a hard time getting the visas. Dad had heard from a whole bunch of places that the visas were US$20 each, but they tried to charge us US$35 for one. So there was this big thing, but we got it so that there was only a US$4 tip each to make the service faster.

From Poipet (Poy-pet), the border town, there was a four-hour drive on Highway 5. Highway 5 is a really bad road to use. In Dad's day there were these huge craters everywhere from landmines blowing up. But now it's a lot better, its just like a normal dirt road, and two kilometers are even paved! The only bad thing about it is that I can't read on the ride.

Finally, we got to Siem Reap (See-'em-Reap), where we would stay for the remainder of our trip. Since a lot of things happened in the time we were there, I am going to do a separate post on it.
TTYL!

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Welcome back, it's always nice to know when you've gotten home from reading your posts. Glad Cambodia was a lot better than getting to it through Thailand! Looking forward to hearing abour your latest adventure. Don't know if I've told you before but I save reading your blog until I've done everything else I need to do on the web...so I have a 'treat' at the end!
S-