Why the Blog?

These days everyone wants to travel the world. As kids and teens we dream about it. As adults we might often think about it, but never find the time. We dream, but few of us ever reach our goal. I am one of those few.
Soon, starting September 4 , my dad and I are going overseas to three places-Israel, Thailand and Prague, Czech Republic. Well, those are where our homes are going to be, but we will be traveling in Egypt, Sweden, and other places. We will stay in each place for about three months.
I am an eleven-year-old girl named Rachael. My father is Philip and my mother(who is not coming for the whole trip but is visiting) is Margie. In this blog I will keep you posted about events. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Tel Aviv

Hello! Dad and I went to Tel Aviv (Tell-Ah- veev) yesterday! We went to the museum of the Diaspora (The time when the Jews were in Exile, being driven out of every country they tried to stay in.) at the university. It was really fascinating there, with old artifacts such as silver plates with etchings on them, and models of the different synagogues around the word, and so much more! I wish you guys could've been there to see it. We ate lunch in a cafeteria there and found out that the food was AWFUL!!!!!


After 5 hours in the museum (from 11:00 to 4:00 or so.) :P Dad remembered that he had forgotten his cell phone at home, and we were going to meet up with Orit, and were supposed to call her. So we got on a bus to go to the market where we were going to look for a pay phone to call Orit, and the funniest thing happened! Orit got on our bus! The chances of that happening are so slim, it's like running into a long-lost friend in the middle of New York City! And so we went on to the market. The market was amazing! There were tons of stalls on either side shouting out their wares, and all these people jostling you (the reason there were so many people was because yet another holiday was coming up). The street we were walking on was littered with trash and squashed fruits, and dirty water running down the middle- I still don't want to look at the bottom of my shoes! The smell there wasn't too nice, either. One minute you smelled fruits and flowers, and the next minute you smelled something rancid like poop!

After looking around, we went and ate dinner at this really cool stall that had these...thingys, I don't know how to describe them. The women that were selling the food looked like babushkas, grandmothers from Russia in dresses and aprons from the 1920s.
At first I thought the food there was pastries, but I was wrong. They were really this baked crusty bread crust that had a filling of either meat and onions, potatoes, or pumpkin. I got the meat because I hate most potatoes and only like pumpkin in pumpkin pie. It was so good, my mouth waters just typing this! They were very filling, and I ate only two for dinner. For dessert we had pomegranate juice (which is not sweet, mind you).

We also went to the craft market. There were so many things to look at, jewelry and paintings, clocks and towel hangers, things that I had no idea what they were... and they were all handmade, too!

I really like Tel Aviv.

No comments: